This is a work in progress. Additions and updates will be added as info comes to light.
Research work by Rick Cook
Revised and updated, 4/27/2021
6th Street, starting south end of town.
Ella Knapp House, 3315-04CB Taxlot 500, 610 Deady Street blt. 1936
Louis Knapp Jr. had this house built for his mother Ella.
PROCTOR, KAYE D TRSTEE PROCTOR, KAYE D LIV TRS
4505 WOLF RUN DR, MEDFORD, OR 97504
George and Maude Forty/Orris Smith House, 3315-05DA, Block 48, TaxLot 3600, 106 6th Street, Blt. after 1921. Built by Douglas McGill using materials from old Forty house on 101 Hwy right of way. New house has larger footprint and built in the Craftsman bungalow style. Source: Myrtle McGill Forty, Label on old Geo.and Maude Forty house photo.
WEINER, DAVID, 23151 LORENTZ RD, PLYMOUTH, CA 95669
Battle Rock Cottages/ Motel, 3315-05DA, Block 48 , Taxlot 3900, 136 6th Street, Blt. 1936. Built by Perry Stevens of Winslow, Arizona, originally had a restaurant. Source: Coos Bay World, March 17, 1936 issue.
VENA, CHUN CHA, P O BOX 288, Port Orford
Babel’s Cabins/Shoreline Motel, 3315-05DA, Block 47, Taxlot 4100, 206 6th Street, Original Main Part Built before 1940.
MCELWAIN, ZACHARY W, 846 FOXTAIL DRIVE, OZARK, MO 65721
Luetwyler Garage/Orford’s Cafe/Hawthorne Gallery. 3315-05DA Block 39, Taxlot 7800, 265 6th Street Blt. Abt. 1914?
P O BOX 700, PORT ORFORD, OR 97465
Bates/Mcphillamy House/Pitches East, 3315-05DA, Block 47, Taxlot 4200, 236 6th Street, blt abt 1879, added on remodeled several times. Bought by John Marsh, Oct. 1930, converted to gas station and auto repair. Used as bus stop by Mcphillamy and Marsh. Sandwiches and snacks were made for travelers. Sorurce: Port Orford News Oct. 1930, Dolores Mayea interview.
WEINER, DAVID & MELODE, 23151 LORENTO ROAD, PLYMOUTH, CA 95669
Nielsen/Fromm/Marsh building/Ira Tucker’s Market, 3315-05DA Block 47 Taxlot 4601, 246 6th Street, Blt 1903, Held the Port Orford Post Office in early years. Nels Nielsen bought the vacant lot Dec. 1902. Pat Masterson identifies it as the Nielsen Building in a 1910 photo. Post office was located in this building ca. 1914. Nielsen bought lot from William Tichenor’s daughter Sarah Ellen Tichenor McGraw. John Fromm owns building in the 20’s, sells to John Marsh in 1934. Source: Pat Masterson, Curry County title records 9-595 and 9-599. Old Port Orford News articles.
FULLMER, CHANE LEE, P. O. BOX 1349, Port Orford
Charles Long Building, 3315-05DA Block 30 Taxlot 7700 267 6th street. Blt. 1930. Lot bought from Carrol Tichenor Nov. 1929 Source: Port Orford News Nov. 26, 1929.
DANA, DOROTHY TRSTEE
DANA FAMILY TRST 3-7-02, P. O. BOX 336, Port Orford
White Hotel 3315-05DA Block 47 Taxlot 4801 264 6th Street, Blt. 1926
Known as the Western Hotel and Cafe. Possibly built with materials salvaged from buildings, old town site at Beaver Hill 1925. Coos Bay World article.
R & J GILMAN LLC, P. O. BOX 764, Port Orford
Telephone Co./One Lump or Two, 3315-05DA Block 31, Taxlot 6702, 345 6th Street Blt. Abt. 1916/17
Also housed the Chamber of Commerce and Devaney’s beauty salon. Built and owned by Eugene White Sr.. According to Leon White: During WWI, the Telephone Office had a slate Bulletin Board. Someone would call in with the Daily Oregonian’s headlines. Chalk was used to transcribe the headlines onto the Board. Source: Port Orford News and Leon White.
BECK, EDWARD H, 2221 SW 1ST AVE APT 232, PORTLAND, OR 97201
Marsh Gas Station/Point B. Studio 3315-05DA Block 31 taxlot 6700 348 6th Street, Blt. 1920-1925
Rebecca Malamud, P.O. Box 300, Sixes 97467
C.A. Smith Real-Estate building, 3315-05DA, Block 46, Taxlot 5400, 356 6th Street Blt. 1930 Moved from across 6th street after 1940
BONNELL, GRACE LEE TRSTEE
BONNELL, GRACE LEE LIV, 42157 VISTA DR, PORT ORFORD
Starting at South End
Gable’s Theater/Old Mormon Church, 3315-05DA, Block 34, Taxlot 5902, 608 Oregon Street, Blt.1936? Built for Mayor Gable’s wife who was involved in local theater. Served as Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints for several years. Used for dance and yoga instruction in the 1970’s. May have been moved to present location in the early 40’s. Source: Local oral history.
PALMER, TIMOTHY , P. O. BOX 1286, Port Orford, Or.
628 Oregon, 3315-05DA, Block 34, Taxlot 5702, 628 Oregon Street, Blt. about 1933-34
GEARHART, FRITZ, 30 W 38TH AVE, EUGENE, OR 97405
Aggies old place, 3315-05DA, Block 34, Taxlot 5700, 431, 7th Street, Blt. Before 1934. Owned by Aggie Leutwyler and her son Lawrence Miller
WENTLING, DANIEL G & LAURIEL ETAL, 92422 PARADISE POINT, Port Orford.
Catholic Church/Cassell House, 3315-05AD, Block 44, Taxlot 5701, 622 Oregon St. (7th ) Blt Late Teens. Paul and Agnes Leutwyler remodeled the church into a residence Nov. 1928. At some point, building was rotated clockwise 90 degrees from original position by the Leutwylers. Source: Port Orford News, Nov. 1928 issue, photo evidence and local oral history.
CASSEL, DENNIS E & DIANE J, P.O. BOX 601, Port Orford.
Nielsen/Bernal Forty House/Cook Gallery, 3315-05DA Block 54, Taxlot 1900 705 Oregon Street, blt. Abt. 1895. Built by P.J. Lindberg for the Nels and Mary Nielsen. Bob and Myrtle Forty, along with Myrtle’s McGill family, lived in the house while they built the Forty House next door. In 1930 T. J. Fromm bought the place and later sold to Bernal Forty abt. 1940. The house was used as a rental in its early years. There have been two fires, both burnt the second story. First fire was in early 30’s. The second fire was accidently started by Elaine Forty, daughter of Bernal. Source: Seneva Lindberg, Myrtle McGill Forty, Curry County Land Records, oral history.
Richard Cook, P.O. Box 871, Port Orford Or.
Myrtle and Bob Forty House, 3315-05DB, Block 54, Taxlot 1703, 735 Oregon Street, Blt. 1919/20 Built by Douglas McGill and Bob Forty. Bob Forty traded labor for lumber with David Crowley. Source: Myrtle McGill Forty, 1920 US census Port Orford.
DAHL, STEVEN LEROY ETAL, P O BOX 411, PORT ORFORD, OR
Colonial/Savoy Theater 3315-05DB, Block 63, Taxlot 300. 811 Oregon Street, blt 1936. Built and owned by Salem projectionist Leroy Baker. Managed by Lola Windmaiser in later years. Nick Reynolds of the Kingston Trio renamed it Star Theater during his ownership in the 1980’s. Pete Lenihan ownership 1990’s. Final Days named Savoy. Source: The World Newspaper, Feb. and April 1936 issues, local knowledge.
TWG PROPERTIES LLC, 514 SHERRY COURT, MODESTO, CA 95356
Norma’s Cafe/ Johnny’s Cafe/Food Co-op 3315-05DB Block 64, Taxlot 1900, 812 Oregon Street blt. abt. 1940
HAZARD, RICHARD M ETAL, P O BOX 404, PORT ORFORD, OR 97465
Dolge Shell Gas Station/Down Town Fun Zone, 3315-05DB, Block 64, Taxlot 1801, 832 Oregon Street, blt. 1936. Heinie Dolge originally planned a super gas station and Nash dealership. Building was built with a Southwest Spanish architectural design. Built by George Sauers. Source: The World Newspaper, Dec. 21, 1936.
KALANGE, THOMAS A & LAUREL C, P O BOX 7889, Port Orford.
The Adola building, 3315-05AC, Block 74, Taxlot 5501, 1915 Oregon Street blt 1951 by Adolph and Lola Windmaiser. Pat Masterson had photo studio in one part. Source: Alan Mitchell
KING, MARY C, P O BOX 818, LANGLOIS, OR 97450
Tasty Kates, 3315-05AC, Block 74, Taxlot 5400, 917 Oregon Street, Blt, early 1920’s. Owned by Adolph & Lola Windmaiser 1940-1960’s. Source: Alan Mitchell.
KING, MARY C, P O BOX 818, LANGLOIS, OR 97450
Mitchells old place/Strange Angels Art Gallery, 3315-05AC, Block 74, Taxlot, 5303, 921 Oregon Street, blt. Early 1920’s. Owned by Adolph & Lola Windmaiser 1940-1960’s. Alan and Brenda Mitchell bought the place in 1968. Opened a shop in the front called Humbug Studio, 1980’s
RAYMOND,REBECCA LYNN, PO BOX 1477, Port Orford
Lola Windmaiser’s House, 3315-05AD, Block 73, 928 Oregon Street, Blt. Abt. 1940.
ANGELINI, ARTHUR & JANIS R, P O BOX 712, Port Orford
Battle Rock Garage, 3315-05AC, Block 101, Taxlot 2700, 1235 Oregon Street, Blt. 1938, Opened Jan. 1939 Paul and Aggie Leutwyler built and ran garage and machine shop with gas station.
CARTER, JOE D & DIANE
P O BOX 105
PORT ORFORD, OR 97465
Rainbow Gardens/Pacific Market/Seaside Plaza 3315-05AD Block 109, 1320 Oregon Street, Blt. 1930’s ? Originally located at 7th and Jefferson. Moved to present location in the 1950’s. Bought by Agnes Leutwyler in the 1940’s. She and her son operated a dance hall and skate rink in the buildings original place before and after it was moved. Later used as a supermarket.
LIBERATION CYCLES LLC, P O BOX 87906, TUCSON, AZ 85754
Ames Johnston/Nick Marsh House at Cape Blanco RV 3215-32DC taxlot 1800, 2011 Oregon Street Blt. 1916. House was built by Douglas McGill and son. Frank McIntyre bought house and the land to the north in 1925. He starts an auto court, called Garrison Lake Auto Camp. Served as a hospital 1935-1937. Nick Marsh and family bought house in 1937 from Murta McIntyre, sister of Frank. Marsh closed in the front porch. Sources: Myrtle McGill Forty, Pat Masterson, World Newspaper articles.
MACFARLANE, JEFFREY & ANGELLA, P O BOX 73, Port Orford
Starting at South End
Willis T. White/ Cat’s Meow, 3315-05DA, Block 31, Taxlot 7300, 503 Jackson St. Blt. Abt. 1915. Blt by Willis T. White. Possible kit house. Source, Leon White
CATS MEOW VACATION COTTAGE, PO BOX 414, CROCKETT, CA 94520
Masterson House/Seaside Hotel, 3315-05DA Block 46, Taxlot 4900, 611 Jackson Street Blt. 1898. Built by P.J. Lindberg for Patrick and Alice Masterson. Masterson Store stood on the corner late 1800’s and early 1900’s. Store burnt between1902-05. Leased out and served as a hotel for several years.
KOLIBABA, TERESA JOY, P O BOX 906, PORT ORFORD
Holly House, 3315-05DA, Block 47, Taxlot 4400, 660 Jackson Street, Blt mid 1920’s. Originally was a story and a half craftsman bungalow. House sets on the exact spot an older 19th century house stood.
MACLEOD, FRANCES TRSTEE
MACLEOD PRIVATE TRUST 0, P O BOX 777, PORT ORFORD, OR
Hank Allard/Beecher Jess House 3315-05DA Block 70 Taxlot 600, 840 Jackson Blt 1904-1910
Beecher Jess was a blacksmith, moved to Port Orford after 1900. He had a shop down town and a saw mill on Poverty Ridge between Sixes and Elk River, ca. 1922. Source: Pat Masterson, Coos Bay World
Small Business administration, 1986 Blanco Ave. Eugene Oregon 97408.
Nygren Hotel, 3315-05AD, Block 71, Taxlot 5600, 935 Jackson Street, Blt 1888/89
Built by Nelson Nygren and Sons
ROBERT, CAROLINE, P O BOX 768, PORT ORFORD, OR
Grade School on Jackson Street, 3315-05AD, Block 70, Taxlot 5701, 930 Jackson Street, Blt 1880’s. Has undergone significant remodeling. Different roof structure. Front stairs removed and car garage added below house..
SUMERFIELD, WILLIAM H & JANENE J, 3890 HAYES DRIVE, HOOD RIVER, OR 97031
Corbin/Thomas House, 3315-05AA, Block 123, Tax Lot 4700, 1436 Jackson Street. Blt. 1936 (co.)
Original owner, Tracy E. Corbin 1935/1944, owned by Wayne (Tommy) Thomas after 1944. Adjoining House at 1432 Jackson, possibly moved from Battle Rock area. Sources: 1935, 44 and 49 Tax records. US census.
P O BOX 1285
PORT ORFORD, OR 97465
South End of Town
7th, 8th, 9th, 11th, Washington and Tichenor
Tichenor’s Rest/Retreat 3315-05DA Block 32 Taxlot 6500 580 Tichenor Street Blt Abt. 1904. Owned by the sons and grandsons of William Tichenor. Source: Pat Masterson, 1920’s-30’s Port Orford News.
Robert W. Davison, P.O. Box 324, Coupeville Wa. 98239
Masonic Lodge, #170, 3315-05AA, Block 121, Taxlot 4200, 1420 Tichenor Street Blt. 1950. The original lodge was above the Leneve Drug Store on SW corner of 6th and Jackson. Lodge 170 bought and moved to the old Neilsen/Long building on the NE corner of 8th and Jackson in 1927/28. Source: Tax assessors records, photo evidence.
PORT ORFORD LODGE #170, Port Orford.
The Old City Jail, 3315-05DA Block Taxlot 3202, 7th and Jefferson Blt 1939
All that remains of the old City Hall of 1936, Jail was built later in 39. Source The World Newspaper March and Aug.1939 issues.
City of Port Orford, P.O. Box 310
Scofield/Guerin House, 3315-05DA, Block 51, Taxlot 2600, 356 7th Street, built 1920’s.
Built by Douglas McGill, Source: 1935 Curry County assessor’s map and Myrtle McGill Forty.
AIELLO, JACQUALYN, P O BOX 226, PORT ORFORD, OR
Charles Long House, 3315-05DA, Block 67, Taxlot 401, 206 8th Street, blt. 1891. Built by P.J. Lindberg for Mary Alice Nielsen, mother of Charles Long. Source: Curry County land records and local oral history.
OSHAUGHNESSY, JOHN P & VICKI L
14642 GUADALUPE DRIVE, RANCHO MUERETA, CA 95683
Rudolph Leutwyler/Gus Wallace House, 3315-05DA Block 66, Taxlot 1000, 328 8th Street, Blt. Abt. 1920 Built by Douglas McGill for Rudolph Leutwyler. Owned by Orris Knapp for several years. Source: Port Orford News, Curry County land records, Myrtle McGill Forty.
Clyde and Rhonda Gore, P.O. Box 853, Port Orford, Or.
John and Josie Forty House/Knutsons’s Clocks/Johnson Gallery, 3315-05DB, Block 63, Taxlot 500, 530 8th Street, Blt 1940.
JOHNSON, SHEROLYN B, P O BOX 11, PORT ORFORD, OR
Deidrich Quellen/Golden Harvest, 3315-05AC Block 75 Taxlot 5100, 620 9th Street, Blt. 1913-1918 Bought and moved by Don and Pam Merrick, from 1901 Oregon Street Taxlot 5500, Abt 1979. Owned by Deitrich and Margaret Quellen originally. Source Assessor’s Map records, local oral history.
Kevin L. Fortier, P.O. Box 87, Port Orford
Powder House 3315-05DA Block 66, taxlot 1200, 343 9th Street, Blt. Abt 1915. Moved from behind the Gillings Port Orford Hardware store on Jackson. Source: Photo evidence, local oral history. Originally stored gun and blasting powder.
Kathy Boden, P.O. box 912, Port Orford
American Legion Post #76, 3315-05 Block 85, Taxlot 4100, 421 11th Street, Blt 1937
City of Port Orford, P.O. box 310, Port Orford.
Eugene/Leon White House, 3315-05DA, Block 31, Taxlot 6800, 504 Harbor Dr./Washington St. Blt. Abt. 1903/4 Built by P.J. Lindberg and Eugene White Sr. Source: Leon White
DEAN, RONALD E JR & JERI L 13216 DOGWOOD LN, GRASS VALLEY, CA 95945
Scofield Cottage, 3315-05AD, Block 46, Taxlot 5401, 640 Washington Street. Blt.?
MAXON, LINDA S & KARL T, P O BOX 1358, BANDON, OR 97411. Source Tax Assessor’s map.
Lindberg House, 3315-05AD, Block 71, Taxlot 5100, 906 Washington Street, Blt 1892/93. Built by P. J. Lindberg. Residence of Lindberg family.
PUGET SOUND GUARDIANS GUARDIAN ETAL LEOPOLD, SYNEVA R INCAP
P O BOX 2649 , LYNNWOOD, WA 98026
Esther Winters House, 3315-05AD, Block 72, Taxlot 4801, 923 Washington Street Blt ?
WEINER, DAVID & MELODE A
3350 COUNTY CLUB DR #20, CAMERON PARK, CA 95682
From South to North
Maurisa Markstien House, 3315-05DC Block 82 Taxlot 4300, 1027 Idaho Street Blt. Abt 1880?
MARKSTEIN, MAURISA, P. O. BOX 1031 Port Orford, Oregon
1108 Idaho Street, 3315-05AC, Block 93, Taxlot 3600, Blt Abt. 1910 Date based on county tax records
SAVAGE, ROBERT W, 1108 IDAHO ST
1119 Idaho Street, 3315-05AC Block 72 Taxlot 3500 Blt. Abt. 1923, Date based on county tax records
David and Heidi Kerby, P.O. Box 602, Port Orford
Gillings House, 3315-05AC, Block 100, Taxlot 2602, 1205 Idaho Street, Built 1930. Originally Owned by Mable Gillings of Gillings Hardware. Mable died in 1935. The 1944 assessor’s map shows Laura Stearns, mother in-law to Mayor Gable, owner of house and whole block. Source: 1935 and 1944 Tax assessor’s map.
Diane Ostrowoski, P.O. Box 82, Port Orford, Oregon
McMullen House, 3215-32DD Block 162, taxlot 2000, 250 19th Street, blt abt 1890. Built by P.J. Lindberg for Frank and Catherine McMullen. Daughter married James Hughs
1256 RUSSELL ST, BERKELEY, CA 94702
Rosa Purdin House, 3315-05AA Block 127, taxlot 3500, 317 16th Street, Blt. Abt. 1900. House belonged to Rosa Williams Purdin 1935/44/49. She was wife of William Clarence Purdin. The Purdins were living Elk River 1920. Source: US Census, Curry Co. Tax Assessor’s Maps 1935/44/49
MCCARTNEY, JOHN J & JOAN A, 30 HIGH STREET
CHRISTIANA, PA 17509