Port Orford Old Town

A Brief History of Extant Buildings in Old Town, The Original Port Orford Business District. “In 1852, Oregon land claims officials, checking on Port Orford, reported that the…

City of Port Orford Historic Buildings Inventory

This is a work in progress. Additions and updates will be added as info comes to light. Research work by Rick Cook cookgallery@frontier.com Revised and updated, 4/27/2021 6th…

Indian version of Battle Rock

This article appeared, May 26, 1932, in the Myrtle Point Herald, prior to the Rogue River bridge dedication. Elwood (Woody) Towner was Rogue River Tu-Tu-Ni/Mackanotin and a member…

Sunrise, Sunset

Port Orford, Oregon, is known for its spectacular coastline which provides an ideal dramatic setting for the glorious Oregon sunrises and sunsets which are on display year round….

Rare Port Orford Jubilee Pins

Inventor/machinist/pattern maker Bob Sutton created these very cool and collectible 3D buttons for the Jubilee for many years in his Port Orford garage. Among other things he invented…

Port Orford Plunge (Beta)

Greetings from Port Orford Historical Photos! We’re making great headway on our Port Orford Today Archival Project with four more additional years (1993-1996) of material ready for publication…

The Centennial Building

A few years after the Port Orford fire of 1868, a blaze which destroyed nearly the entire town, Louis Knapp Sr. built the Centennial Building. He constructed it…

Heida Community Project

Many years ago during the earliest days of personal computers, Alan Mitchell helped with a Port Orford community project of scanning a large collection of historic photos. Master…

The Nielsen/Fromm Building

In recent years, there has been some confusion between this building and another similar structure known as Leneve Hall. Both buildings had a dance hall on the second…

Send us your Jubilee Photos!

We’re creating a collection of some of our favorite Port Orford Jubilee Photos! We’ll start off with a photo of Jubilee Grand Marshals Alan and Brenda Mitchell in…

Newspapers in Port Orford

Though he did not start the first paper, the first half century of Curry county journalism revolves pretty much around Walter Sutton, real Oregon pioneer, who crossed the…

Old Port Orford School(s)

The first Port Orford grade school when it was situated on Jackson Street across from the Nygren Hotel, built in abt. 1880 and use was discontinued in 1913….

Old Dock Road

Enjoy this historical photo mapped by Alan Mitchell using notes from historian Pat Masterson:

The Knapp Hotel

In 1859, Louis Knapp and his widowed mother, Rachel, came to Port Orford, Oregon, from Baltimore, Maryland. Their well-known Knapp Hotel was originally constructed as a boarding house…

Port-Orford-Jail-I-September-2006-Nix

Port Orford Jail

“Over the years our little jailhouse has become a popular landmark. Built in 1939 during the timber boom days in Port Orford and condemned in 1965, it has…

Moving the WOW Hall: Skate Rink ca. 1950

The WOW Hall

Seaside Plaza was first known as the Woodsmen of the World (WOW) Hall. The building was originally located at 7th and Jefferson, moved to its present location on…

The Port Orford Movie Theatre

In late December 1935, ground was prepared for construction of Port Orford’s movie theater. Leroy Baker, a Salem projectionist, opened his new theater called The Colonial, April 28,…

Port Orford Post Office when it was originally located on HWY 101 c 1950.

Port Orford Post Office

The Port Orford post office was established in 1855 and is recognized as one of the earliest Oregon post offices as recorded by the Oregon Historical Quarterly. This…