Page 2 of 7

Port Orford Night Sky

Port Orford is home to some of the most beautiful scenery, and that includes its incredible expanse of night sky. Photography is a beautiful medium to capture this…

"Cape Blanco Lighthouse" by Darren Evans

Cape Blanco Lighthouse

The Cape Blanco Lighthouse is one of three historical sites maintained by the Cape Blanco Heritage Society (CBHS). You can learn more about CBHS at their website. “The…

The Port Orford Quadrangle

We’re big fans of maps at Port Orford Historical Photos, and we were delighted to discover this extraordinary documentation of “The Port Orford Quadrangle” by Joseph Silas Diller…

Early Logging Years

A collection of photos from early years of the logging industry in Port Orford and the surrounding area. The photo below shows the S.S. Frogner at the dock…

Historic Port Orford Tokens

Below are collectible tokens from Port Orford businesses from the 1920s. The gold coins were created by The Smith Brothers for their confectionary called The Kozy which operated…

Port Orford Old Town

A Brief History of Extant Buildings in Old Town, The Original Port Orford Business District. “In 1852, Oregon land claims officials, checking on Port Orford, reported that the…

Port Orford Historic Resource Survey

City of Port Orford Buildings Inventory Revised and updated, 11/15/2022 All historic resource properties listed here are potentially eligible for listing in theNational Register of Historic Places. Listing…

Indian Version of Battle Rock

This article appeared, May 26, 1932, in the Myrtle Point Herald, prior to the Rogue River bridge dedication. Elwood (Woody) Towner was Rogue River Tu-Tu-Ni/Mackanotin and a member…

Rare Port Orford Jubilee Pins

Inventor/machinist/pattern maker Bob Sutton created these very cool and collectible 3D buttons for the Jubilee for many years in his Port Orford garage. Among other things he invented…

Port Orford Plunge (Beta)

Greetings from Port Orford Historical Photos! We’re making great headway on our Port Orford Today Archival Project with four more additional years (1993-1996) of material ready for publication…

The Centennial Building

A few years after the Port Orford fire of 1868, a blaze which destroyed nearly the entire town, Louis Knapp Sr. built the Centennial Building. He constructed it…

Heida Community Project

Many years ago during the earliest days of personal computers, Alan Mitchell helped with a Port Orford community project of scanning a large collection of historic photos. Master…

The Nielsen/Fromm Building

In recent years, there has been some confusion between this building and another similar structure known as Leneve Hall. Both buildings had a dance hall on the second…

Send us your Jubilee Photos!

We’re creating a collection of some of our favorite Port Orford Jubilee Photos! We’ll start off with a photo of Jubilee Grand Marshals Alan and Brenda Mitchell in…

Newspapers in Port Orford

Though he did not start the first paper, the first half century of Curry county journalism revolves pretty much around Walter Sutton, real Oregon pioneer, who crossed the…

Old Port Orford School(s)

The first Port Orford grade school when it was situated on Jackson Street across from the Nygren Hotel, built in abt. 1880 and use was discontinued in 1913….

Old Dock Road

Enjoy this historical photo mapped by Alan Mitchell using notes from historian Pat Masterson:

The Knapp Hotel

In 1859, Louis Knapp and his widowed mother, Rachel, came to Port Orford, Oregon, from Baltimore, Maryland. Their well-known Knapp Hotel was originally constructed as a boarding house…

Port-Orford-Jail-I-September-2006-Nix

Port Orford Jail

“Over the years our little jailhouse has become a popular landmark. Built in 1939 during the timber boom days in Port Orford and condemned in 1965, it has…

Moving the WOW Hall: Skate Rink ca. 1950

The WOW Hall

Seaside Plaza was first known as the Woodsmen of the World (WOW) Hall. The building was originally located at 7th and Jefferson, moved to its present location on…