A collection of photos from early years of the logging industry in Port Orford and the surrounding area. The photo below shows the S.S. Frogner at the dock and a lumber loader on Fort Point. At this time Highway 101 was a gravel road. The Knapp Hotel and George and Maude Forty House are also visible in this early photograph.
Another photo shows the Port Orford Dock with a heavy load of logs, most likely Port Orford Cedar. Two coaster steamers are in the harbor and the old Cannery building can be seen at left.
These two early photos from the Gilbert Gable era show the blasting of Graveyard Point to make way for the jetty and the “new and improved” port. More photos on our Gable Jetty Construction and Proposal page.
A classic “One Load Log” is seen on a 1940’s Mack Truck near the Humbug Mountain Lodge during the days of old-growth logging. Surprisingly, there are no binder chains securing the log or its trailer in this photo.
View more photos of the early logging years in The Port Orford Historical Photos Archive.