(A Series of Recollections by former Mayor Leon White as told to Alan Mitchell)

“There were blackouts. At night we had to hang blankets over windows to make it hard for any plane seeking to bomb us, to see us!”

Leon White

There was rationing. Each month his parents received from the Government a booklet of coupons to be used for basics like flour, potatoes, sugar, and gasoline. People who could, were asked to plant a Victory Garden and grow vegetables. A backyard garden was nothing new for Leon’s parents. Gene and Pearl White already had many years of experience growing their own cabbage, carrots, peas, potatoes, and Swiss chard.

Eugene White

Port Orford held organized collections for scrap metal, old newspapers and magazines for the war effort. Everyone took their recycling seriously.

Port Orford had at least two or three Victory Bond drives. People were urged to buy as many as they could. The program for the 5 and 7 year bonds was something like this. You paid: $8 for a bond that was worth $10 at maturity; $18 for a $25 bond; $35 for a $50 bond, and $75 for a $100 bond.

The Pastime Bar and Barbershop and the Seaside Grill on Port Orford HWY 101, c1940.

Of course there were no new cars manufactured during the war years. Leon remembered seeing a news picture showing tanks coming off a General Motors Cadillac assembly line. All the car manufacturers were producing only what our military needed.

People learned how the war was going from newspapers, radio, news magazines like Life Magazine, and the 10-15 minute newsreels at Port Orford’s popular local movie theater – The Colonial.

The Colonial Theater shown to the left of Lyle’s Fountain & Gift Shop, c1940.

You knew the war had come to Port Orford when the Coast Guard stationed a lot more men in the area. Leon was 6 years old and his 60 year old father was Port Orford’s Town Marshall. While making his daily rounds and coordinating with Military commanders, Gene White frequently took his young son with him.

Administration Bldg. Port Orford Ore
Gilbert Gable’s Administration Building. Port Orford Oregon

Gilbert Gable’s Administration Building had become the Military’s headquarters for the area. It was important that beaches be constantly patrolled to prevent potential spies from coming ashore. The 24 hour Patrols included large German Shepherd guard dogs. There was a dog kennel for 10-12 of them behind the Administration Building. Every day you could see soldiers with guard dogs on long leashes walking down the hill to the Dock Beach and then on east to Hubbard Creek to look for anything suspicious.

At a later date, the Army arrived with a large caliber anti-aircraft gun. It was installed on top of Fort Point, the hill south of Leon’s home. A big hole was dug, the large gun rolled into it, and then aimed down to cover Dock Beach, the Dock itself and the Harbor.

Leon White House in center of photo north of Fort Point (at left).
The Leon White House was built by Eugene White and P.J. Lindberg in 1903/04.

October 7th, 1942, 40 wounded sailors from the 7,000 ton oil tanker USS Larry Doheny were brought ashore at the Port Orford Dock. The Japanese submarine I-25 had sunk them off Cape Sebastian. Many of the wounded were heavily bandaged. Some were put into the Coast Guard’s Barracks at the Heads, the rest moved into the American Legion Building to await transportation to a military hospital.

After the war, people learned the submarine that sunk the USS Larry Doheny had been the same one launching a small float plane off Brookings in an attempt to firebomb the forest during October, 1942. That mission failed because the forest was so wet. The submarine then headed north to Port Orford, sinking the USS Doheny along the way. To keep our Navy from finding them before launching their second firebombing mission, the I-25 secretly stayed several days on the sandy bottom of Nellie’s Cove. That attack was flown up the Sixes River Valley. Wet conditions in the forest also caused that attack to fail.