At present, our own steamers are carrying all of the logs shipped out of Port Orford by the four companies operating there. We have put extra strong winches and tackle on the S.S. “Mary E. Moore“ to handle logs to best advantage. She is a double-deck twin-screw, steel vessel of about 1,500 tons and 228 feet long. Built originally by the Robert Dollar Company for the shallow harbor at Bandon, she is well-fitted for navigation in and out of Port Orford’s rocky cove.THE LOGOS, Port Orford Cedar — Its uses and Production. (June 1927)
Originally named The SS Grace Dollar, the Mary E. Moore was built in 1913, for the Dollar Steamship Lines of San Francisco. The Moore Mill and Lumber Co. of Coos Bay/Bandon, owned and operated the ship from 1923-1927. The ship was named after mill owner George W. Moore’s daughter, Mary Eliza Moore.
The SS Mary E. Moore lost her propeller and tail shaft on February 23rd, 1927. She filled with water and sank off the mouth of the Coquille River.
The Lumberman Vol. 26
Port Orford, February 8. 1924
“Several trucks are now hauling from the Boise & Walstrom camp on Sixes River to the local dock, where the logs, which have been sold to the Moore Mill & Lumber Co., are shipped to Bandon. The steamer Mary E. Moore is loading cedar for Marshfield. The boat is owned jointly by the Moore Mill & Lumber Co. and the Coos & Curry Cedar Co. The two companies expect to put another boat on the run this summer. It is rumored that the Western White Cedar Co. will send in three overseas boats this season.”