The Port Orford Movie Theatre

In late December 1935, ground was prepared for construction of Port Orford’s movie theater. Leroy Baker, a Salem projectionist, opened his new theater called The Colonial, April 28, 1936.
Leroy was raised in Myrtle Point. He and his father, Al Baker, had shown movies in the old Port Orford WOW Hall in 1935.
Lumber for the theater was milled by Port Orford’s Trans-Pacific Lumber Co. Seating was shipped from Michigan through a firm in Portland, Oregon.
The community, including Mayor Gilbert Gable, used The Colonial for lectures and live performances. Leroy Baker owned the theater till the late 1940’s with ownership passing to N.M. Alger.
During the later 1950’s thru early 1980’s, Lola Windmeyser managed the theater. Lola and her husband, Adolph, arrived in Port Orford after the Second World War. Movie goers remember “Ol Lady” Windmeyser as a strict disciplinarian, children and adults alike. Before the film, a message appeared on the screen, “No Smoking, No Booze, No Snuff”. Lola would patrol the isle
keeping an eye out for couples hugging or kissing. She carried a yard stick at times, threatening violators of her rules. People claim Lola actually struck them with her long ruler.
In the 80’s and 90’s The Colonial became The Star Theater and was owned and operated by Nick and Linda Reynolds. Nick was a founding member of the Kingston Trio. Linda Reynolds directed the remodeling of the Lobby. The candy and concession counters were rebuilt by local woodworker Rick Cook. Linda added a built-in fish aquarium, plush carpets and brass stanchions with velvet rope to the décor. In the late 1980’s Nick Reynolds sold the Star Theater to his friend Pete Lenihan. Pete, a long time Port Orford resident, was connected to the Jazz music world. He booked Jazz and Swing performers for outstanding concerts and dances including his own Pete Lenihan Jazz Ensemble.
In later years, the theater became the Savoy owned and operated by Chris Speed, an avid movie buff and theater enthusiast. She named the theater Savoy after a favorite dog of hers, whom she had named after the Savoy Brown band.
Thanks to video rentals and Netflix, the old Colonial closed for good.

1997 Ad from The Down Town Fun Zone
Port Orford, Oregon

In later years, the theater became the Savoy owned and operated by Chris Speed, an avid movie buff and theatre enthusiast. She named the theater Savoy after a favorite dog of hers, whom she’d named after the Savoy Brown band.
Thanks to video rentals and Netflix, the old Colonial closed for good.

Port Orford (South End) Hwy 101 and 8th St c1940
Colonial Theatre ca. 1940’s. Established in 1936
(Port Orford (South End) Hwy 101 and 8th St c1940)
Another view of The Colonial Theatre circa 1950 (From L to R: Heinie Dolges Garage and Shell Station – Port Orford High School – Bernal Forty House – Myrtle and Bob Forty House – Norm’s Market – Colonial Theater – Lyles Fountain – Chevron Station)
Colonial 1960
Colonial Theatre Programme from January 1960
“The Western-Most Theatre in the United States.”
Building Port Orford Movie Theatre and Bartletts Cafe c1980s
The Star Theater (when owned by Nick Reynolds) and Bartletts Cafe c1980s
Savoy Theatre – Hwy 101 and 8th St – 2009 . Photo by Lance Nix.
The mural on the exterior wall is not actually a wall of the theatre, but the sole surviving wall of Norm’s Food Center which once stood next to it. [h/t cinematreasures.org]
Full view of The Savoy Mural as it existed in 2016.
Savoy mural concept when plans were being discussed to transform it into a movie and performing arts theater. (by artist Darren Evans. 2014)

The old theater building was completely restored and transformed in 2018 into a beautiful state-of-the-art fitness theater by the current owners at Mtn Sea Fitness.

SoulPie performs at the First Annual Port Orford Street Fair in front of the future home of Mtn Sea Fitness. The wall behind the band is where the old Savoy Mural used to be.

The large Brown Building on the left of this photo is the home of the Old Port Orford Theatre and the new Mtn Sea Fitness building. (from Discover Port Orford / The Oregon Coast )

← Previous post

Next post →

1 Comment

  1. Carren Copeland

    Like this site! Nice to hear about our town. Been here since 1981 and have seen a few changes. Miss the old movie theater

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.