In recent years, there has been some confusion between this building and another similar structure known as Leneve Hall. Both buildings had a dance hall on the second floor and were, for a time, similar in appearance in old photos, although on opposite sides of the street. Both buildings also housed a drug store which added to the confusion. In 2010 a historical photo book was published, misidentifying the Nielsen/Fromm building as the Leneve Hall. Most long time residents remember it as the old Tucker’s Market, leaving the Nielsens and Fromms a forgotten past.
In 1902, Nels Nielsen bought 2 lots on 6th Street, which at the time was down town Port Orford. On one lot at 246 6th street, Nels built the Nielsen Building. Upstairs, the Nielsens held dances, performing arts events and exhibitions. The US Post office was located in the Nielsen building during this time period. Nels and Mary Nielsen also owned another store front on Jackson Street plus other lots and residences in Port Orford. The Nielsen’s were leaders in the Mercantile business in Port Orford and later Mary’s son, Charles Long, continued the tradition.
At some later date, John Fromm bought the building. It became known as the Fromm building. Brice Wager, a relative of Fromm, recalled there was a basketball court upstairs as well as the dance hall.
In 1932, the Fromm Building was sold to the Marsh Family. It went through several modifications and stylistic changes, with a major rework of the facade by a master woodworker sometime in the late 1970’s.
The Fromm Building is mentioned as being utilized as a drug store and dental office in 1927, which does make it even more confusing given the Leneve Hall was also a drug store during this same time period.
This 1927 article describes the Gillings of Port Orford Hardware buying the vacant lot between the Dunham Store (the White Western Hotel) and the Fromm Building. The Gillings Hardware was on Jackson at this time. With the new Roosevelt Highway, they felt they should cash in on the new highway location, though they never went through with the plan. The article below clearly identifies the building next to the Western Hotel as The Fromm Building. The Gillings never went through with plans to build and move their store to 6th Street.